Sunday, February 6, 2011

.

I started my job! Hurray! I was just in for a few hours on Tuesday with the baby class and Wednesday with the older class, which is how it will be for the rest of the month. I don't actually have to teach until the last week of February, right now I'm just getting the lay of the land. I just participated in the classes and got to know some of the teachers and the kids. One of the little boys was terrified of me and burst into tears every time I looked at him. Which was a fun game. For me.

The job seems, for the most part, pretty easy. I'm pretty damn good with children regardless of the fact that I don't particularly like them. Plus the children so well behaved. We sang songs, they showed me a dance that they know, we read stories and we painted a tree. Everybody told me their name and how old they are, and then they all asked me some questions, including what is my favourite soup, vegetable, candy, cookie, rice, fish, colour, animal (I said cat and meowed at them and they all went into convulsions on the floor, so easily amused, I love it).

The other English teacher is dead sound and I got on really well with her which is awesome because we'll be working very closely together. She's also MAD strict with the kids, which made me realise that I can be really strict! No-nonsense Laura. I plan on having every child terrified of me by the end of next week.

I got a package from Laila in NY this week, which was rad. I have awesome friends.

Today I went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography to see an exhibition called Snapshots Cast Their Spell. I heard about it on The Sartorialist's blog. Some of his work was in the exhibition, and I love his blog so I thought I'd check it out. *Edit: I swiped these photographs of the exhibition from The Sartorialist.


My favourite part of the exhibition was a series of photographs by Paul Fusco, entitled RFK Funeral Train. One of the photos from that series is in the foreground of the image below.


I like doing cultural shit, the bad thing about Tokyo is that you have pay into pretty much all of the museums, so going to most of them is on my list of "things to do once I start getting paid".

Bedtime now.

No comments: